Coffee made simple with Farrer’s – part 2! Brian, our resident coffee connoisseur, is back in front of the camera and demonstrating how to make V60 coffee in the comfort of your own home.
This is our second in a series of coffee tutorials showing you how to make the perfect coffee at home – whatever your preferred brew method is. If you missed part 1 you can check out out how to make the perfect cafetière coffee here.
Follow along below in our video guide how Brian makes the perfect v60 coffee (also known as pour over coffee).
V60 can look a little intimidating at first because it’s a bit more involved than other brew methods but we think it’s definitely worth the effort. Don’t worry if you miss something in the video, we’ve made a list of all the things you’ll need as well as step by step instructions which you can find below.
What you’ll need:
In order to make the perfect v60 coffee you’ll need:
- 19g of filter grind coffee (plus 400g of water)
- Filter Paper
- Hot water (off the boil)
- Your favourite mug and a spoon
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT V60 COFFEE EVERYTIME:
Brew time: 3½ – 4 mins
To make a mug (350ml) of V60 coffee:
- Wet your filter paper & pre-heat your jug by pouring in 50g of boiling water evenly around the paper. After doing this make sure to empty your V60.
- Weigh out 19g of coffee and add it into your filter paper (that’s about 3-4 rounded teaspoons). Ensure it’s not bunched up at the sides and evenly distributed.
- Pour on 50g of hot water onto the coffee, just off the boil (93 – 96°C). Allow your coffee to bloom and start to flow through into your V60. Leave it to rest for 30 seconds.
- Once the coffee has dripped through pour on another 150g of water. Pour in small circles for a nice, even extraction. Give the coffee a quick stir and leave to flow through for a minute.
- Once it’s finished dripping through pour on another 150g of water. Make sure to give it another quick stir and then leave for a further minute to flow through.
- Your coffee is now ready to serve! Pour your freshly brewed coffee into your favourite mug and enjoy.
GET STARTED WITH BRIAN’S V60 COFFEE PICK:
HOW MANY TEASPOONS OF COFFEE SHOULD I USE PER MUG OF V60?
One rounded teaspoon holds about 6 grams of ground coffee. We recommend you use 19g of filter grind coffee for a V60 brew, which is around 3-4 teaspoons per mug of coffee. This is the cupping standard by the Speciality Coffee Association.
WHERE CAN I BUY V60 CoFFEE?
Most of our artisan coffees are suitable for use within V60 coffee makers although some do work better than others. Generally low to medium strength coffees make a better V60 brew as this method helps to release all of their intricate flavours. In order to get the best extraction from your coffee you need to use a filter fine coffee grind. Pick “Filter” on the grind selection when you checkout on our store. This coffee is suitable for use in traditional drip filter machines as well as V60 pour over coffee makers.
Click here to find our coffee range
IS POUR OVER COFFEE WORTH IT?
We think making pour over coffee is worth the extra effort. Making coffee this way is rewarding in its own way but one big reason to give this method a go is that using a V60 helps to highlight the finer qualities of coffee. This slow pour method helps extract even more flavour from the coffee grinds which results in more flavourful coffee. It’s not as hard as it looks! Just follow our easy guide above.